Translate

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Today's Journey

A couple weeks ago I recieved a custom order request for three of my "non traditional" Fair Isle Christmas stockings with the names of each family member. After dyeing and drying the yarn, I finally began the knitting. I originally thought it would take two weeks per stocking, but after working the toe and the first pattern repeat I realize it will be done much quicker. Woo Hoo!!!

The next item of business....How do I add the names so that it doesn't interfere with the patterning. I came up with three ideas. 1. knit the names vertically along the back edge of the stocking on blocks of color where the patterning isn't worked anyway. Problem with this idea, I'd have to put it on both sides of the stocking because I don't know how they will be hung. 2. Use fabric applique to stitch each individual letter into place vertically down the front side. Problem with this idea is again, would have to do them on both sides. And the fabric would have to be just right. Perhaps felt? Haven't totally discounted this idea yet. 3. Just replace one of the pattern repeats with the name fo the family member. This seems like a winner but since I've begun composing this blog entry I have actually worked out some of the details and may still need to decide. Any ideas would be fab and much appreciated.

As for my little doggie that I posted earlier this week, I think I'm going to put little jewels or the like around the collar. When I pinned the collar in place, there were little holes left from the fabric adhesive. And since the pin baubles actually looked kind of cute, I think that will add just the right amount of something special. As if the little cutie isn't already really stinkin' cute!!!

I will keep you updated on my progress.